Mamata asks GJM to take part in GTA polls
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today asked Gorkha Janmukti Morcha to accept the report of a state government-appointed committee on jurisdiction of a proposed hill council pointing out that it was already agreed upon to accept it.
"There was unanimity at the time of forming of the committee by the state government that all will accept the report and work for the development of the Darjeeling hills", Banerjee told reporters.
The chief minister said "there is no question of my being happy or unhappy at the committee recommendations but I would like to see all in Darjeeling as well as in Terai and Dooars to live in peace."
She also asked GJM to take part in elections to Gorkha Territorial Administration.
It was not the state government which had taken a decision, she said and cautioned "I don`t want eruption of fresh trouble in Darjeeling and I would like to advise those trying to do politics over the issue not to do so."
Earlier, making public the recommendations of the Justice (Retd) Shyamal Kumar Sen committee set up by the state government for inclusion of Gorkha-dominated areas in the plains in the proposed new hill council, Gorkha Territorial Administration, Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh said five mouzas would be added.
Gorkha Janmukti Morcha has demanded inclusion of 398 mouzas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest