Mamata asks workers to oppose Feb 28 strike
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee on Saturday called upon workers to oppose the nation-wide
strike on February 28 and appealed to them "not to fall prey"
"Let me tell you one thing: Do not allow roads to be
obstructed. Do not allow any bandh to take place. Keep the
state moving. Keep the transport system moving. Keep
yourselves moving," Banerjee told a gathering of unorganised
sector workers here.
Calling upon the workers "not to fall prey to provocations
from supporters of the strike", she said, "Do not get involved
On February 21, Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh had issued a
circular to government employees saying it would be mandatory
for them to report for duty on February 28 and no leave would
be allowed on the day.
Any attempt to disrupt normal life would be firmly dealt
with, the circular said.
Yesterday, Transport Minister Madan Mitra said as per the
chief secretary`s circular, employees staying away from work
would face deduction of leaves and salary and might also lose
seniority or face discontinuation of service.
In an apparent response to Opposition CPI(M)`s criticism
of her government for opposing the strike, the chief minister
said, "I have told (Labour Minister) Purnendu Basu, if anyone
does not want to work, relieve him. If someone wants to work,
promote him. Enough is enough. I will not allow `daltantra`
(party politics). There will only be democracy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!