Mamata attacks CPI(M), Budhadeb over Saradha scam
Tarekeswar: Mamata Banerjee on Friday questioned the source of "thousands of crores that came into CPI(M)`s coffers" during its regime and attacked her predecessor Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on the Saradha chit fund scam, which defrauded lakhs of people.
Hitting out at her predecessor, during whose tenure the Saradha Group started business, the Chief Minister said, "It was during your tenure in 2006. Shall I tell the names? As if you know nothing?
"The mother of thieves speaks in the loudest voice and empty vessels sound much. Where did thousands of crores of rupees come into CPI(M)`s coffers?" the Trinamool Congress chief said at an election meeting here in Hooghly district.
"With whose bank account did the finance minister of the Left Front government ran his election campaign?" she asked.
"See who has committed the theft and who is being blamed for it? ... You will only see stars if try to find fault with the Trinamool Congress," Banerjee said.
Alleging that a vilification campaign was on against the Trinamool Congress government, she said her party had not done anything against the Left parties as she did not want revenge.
"If we were in the opposition what kind of torture would you have done on us?"
She said it was her government which took action by arresting the accused of the scam, formed a judicial commission and returned money to the defrauded investors.
Without referring to the opposition demand for a probe by the CBI into the Saradha scam, Banerjee said justice was yet to be delivered in the CBI probes into the Jnaneswari Express railway disaster which claimed over 100 lives in 2010 and in the Nandigram police firing in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?