Mamata Banerjee calls for tension-free education system
Kolkata: Calling for a tension free education system in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said the government had set up an education commission to prepare a vision plan for 2020 and 2030.
Speaking on the occasion of Teachers` Day, the chief minister said that the education commission consisted of four to five eminent educationists.
Commemorating former President and educationist S Radhakrishnan`s 126th birth anniversary today, which is observed as Teachers` Day in the country, Banerjee felicitated 100 primary, secondary and madrasa teachers for outstanding contribution in disseminating education among children.
She said that her government set up nearly 45 new colleges and universities in the state against only about nine colleges set up during the erstwhile Left Front government in 34 years. Besides, nearly 81 model schools were being set up in the state.
She claimed that in the last two years, her government had been able to take the state to the third position in education in the country from the 17th position during the erstwhile LF rule.
"We must achieve the top position soon and this is our target," she said.
She observed that a proper planning for the future was a must and added, "We have to keep in mind how to carry forward our education system reducing academic loads on the minds of students and making them free from tension."
"A tension-free education with dedication, determination and discipline can only encourage our next generation to build a new nation. Only bookish knowledge will not be adequate enough in today`s world," she said.
She also stressed the importance of extra-curricular activity like sports and games, drawing and painting, songs and dance.
Appreciating teachers` role in shaping up students` mind, intellect and character, Banerjee said that without proper enlightenment, there can`t be any cultural resurgence. "An ideal teacher is always respected. I salute them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi