Mamata Banerjee calls for tension-free education system
Kolkata: Calling for a tension free education system in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said the government had set up an education commission to prepare a vision plan for 2020 and 2030.
Speaking on the occasion of Teachers` Day, the chief minister said that the education commission consisted of four to five eminent educationists.
Commemorating former President and educationist S Radhakrishnan`s 126th birth anniversary today, which is observed as Teachers` Day in the country, Banerjee felicitated 100 primary, secondary and madrasa teachers for outstanding contribution in disseminating education among children.
She said that her government set up nearly 45 new colleges and universities in the state against only about nine colleges set up during the erstwhile Left Front government in 34 years. Besides, nearly 81 model schools were being set up in the state.
She claimed that in the last two years, her government had been able to take the state to the third position in education in the country from the 17th position during the erstwhile LF rule.
"We must achieve the top position soon and this is our target," she said.
She observed that a proper planning for the future was a must and added, "We have to keep in mind how to carry forward our education system reducing academic loads on the minds of students and making them free from tension."
"A tension-free education with dedication, determination and discipline can only encourage our next generation to build a new nation. Only bookish knowledge will not be adequate enough in today`s world," she said.
She also stressed the importance of extra-curricular activity like sports and games, drawing and painting, songs and dance.
Appreciating teachers` role in shaping up students` mind, intellect and character, Banerjee said that without proper enlightenment, there can`t be any cultural resurgence. "An ideal teacher is always respected. I salute them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened