Mamata Banerjee condemns Assam attacks
Kolkata: In a veiled attack on BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Sunday said comments by "aspirants of high office are adding fuel" to the fire in states like Assam where at least 28 people have died in militant attacks.
"I am very shocked over the recent incident of violence in Assam where innocent Bengali-speaking minorities and tribal brothers and sisters are being brutally murdered. This is most unfortunate," Banerjee said in a post on her Facebook page.
"The Lok Sabha election in Assam is over but the election process is still continuing in other parts of the country. Certain comments of some political parties, including the aspirant of high office, are adding fuel.
"Their language must be controlled and they should not play politics with fire where innocent lives are involved," she said.
Violence erupted in the Bodoland Territorial Area Districts (BTAD) Thursday night when armed cadres of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland fired in two villages. At least 28 people have died in the violence, officials said.
Offering aid to the victims, Banerjee questioned the inaction by the Assam and central governments.
"We are worried as Assam is our border state. We had extended support and shelter to the affected people in the past. On humanitarian considerations, our doors are open for help to the affected people even now.
"Why the government of Assam and the union government are silent? Why no action is being taken by the statutory authorities like the National Human Rights Commission, Minorities Commission Tribal Commission?" she asked.
Banerjee urged the government and political parties to ensure that atrocities and violence were immediately stopped.
"We condemn such incidents of atrocities and violence. It is a shame, shame, shame," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000