Mamata Banerjee condemns Assam attacks
Kolkata: In a veiled attack on BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Sunday said comments by "aspirants of high office are adding fuel" to the fire in states like Assam where at least 28 people have died in militant attacks.
"I am very shocked over the recent incident of violence in Assam where innocent Bengali-speaking minorities and tribal brothers and sisters are being brutally murdered. This is most unfortunate," Banerjee said in a post on her Facebook page.
"The Lok Sabha election in Assam is over but the election process is still continuing in other parts of the country. Certain comments of some political parties, including the aspirant of high office, are adding fuel.
"Their language must be controlled and they should not play politics with fire where innocent lives are involved," she said.
Violence erupted in the Bodoland Territorial Area Districts (BTAD) Thursday night when armed cadres of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland fired in two villages. At least 28 people have died in the violence, officials said.
Offering aid to the victims, Banerjee questioned the inaction by the Assam and central governments.
"We are worried as Assam is our border state. We had extended support and shelter to the affected people in the past. On humanitarian considerations, our doors are open for help to the affected people even now.
"Why the government of Assam and the union government are silent? Why no action is being taken by the statutory authorities like the National Human Rights Commission, Minorities Commission Tribal Commission?" she asked.
Banerjee urged the government and political parties to ensure that atrocities and violence were immediately stopped.
"We condemn such incidents of atrocities and violence. It is a shame, shame, shame," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'