Mamata Banerjee condemns Delhi gang-rape
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday expressed her revulsion against the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old paramedical student in a moving bus in Delhi.
"I condemn the Delhi gang-rape incident. If incidents of rape and eve-teasing occur in West Bengal, I will too abhor them," the chief minister said while addressing a government programme aimed at giving sops to Muslims ahead of the panchayat elections next year.
In the recent past, Mamata had railed against a section of media for glorifying rape incidents in the state.
Earlier, she had faced criticism from various quarters, including opposition parties, for describing the Park Street rape incident as "cooked up" aimed at maligning her government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves