Mamata Banerjee condemns Delhi gang-rape
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday expressed her revulsion against the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old paramedical student in a moving bus in Delhi.
"I condemn the Delhi gang-rape incident. If incidents of rape and eve-teasing occur in West Bengal, I will too abhor them," the chief minister said while addressing a government programme aimed at giving sops to Muslims ahead of the panchayat elections next year.
In the recent past, Mamata had railed against a section of media for glorifying rape incidents in the state.
Earlier, she had faced criticism from various quarters, including opposition parties, for describing the Park Street rape incident as "cooked up" aimed at maligning her government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days