Mamata Banerjee condemns Delhi gang-rape
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday expressed her revulsion against the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old paramedical student in a moving bus in Delhi.
"I condemn the Delhi gang-rape incident. If incidents of rape and eve-teasing occur in West Bengal, I will too abhor them," the chief minister said while addressing a government programme aimed at giving sops to Muslims ahead of the panchayat elections next year.
In the recent past, Mamata had railed against a section of media for glorifying rape incidents in the state.
Earlier, she had faced criticism from various quarters, including opposition parties, for describing the Park Street rape incident as "cooked up" aimed at maligning her government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate