Mamata Banerjee condemns Delhi gang-rape
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday expressed her revulsion against the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old paramedical student in a moving bus in Delhi.
"I condemn the Delhi gang-rape incident. If incidents of rape and eve-teasing occur in West Bengal, I will too abhor them," the chief minister said while addressing a government programme aimed at giving sops to Muslims ahead of the panchayat elections next year.
In the recent past, Mamata had railed against a section of media for glorifying rape incidents in the state.
Earlier, she had faced criticism from various quarters, including opposition parties, for describing the Park Street rape incident as "cooked up" aimed at maligning her government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed