Mamata Banerjee defends transfer of police officer
Kolkata: Faced with criticism over transfer of senior IPS officer Damayanti Sen, who had differed with Mamata Banerjee on the genuineness of the Park Street rape case, the West Bengal Chief Minister on Thursday defended the decision saying it was a prerogative of the government.
Banerjee, without referring to the transfer of Sen, the former Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime), said "it is the prerogative of my government to get the job done by someone who can perform in a better way."
Pointing out that it was the management of media houses which decided who would be editor and other staff, Banerjee alleged a section of the media and television news channels were making personal attacks on her and trying to malign her government.
"This is yellow journalism. The manner in which personal attacks are being made is a conspiracy and a planted game. "Those who are engaged in this planted game, how can they claim that they are impartial? Just as I cannot impose or bulldoze, you cannot impose or bulldoze," she said at the launch of `Kalom`, a Bengali daily.
Banerjee said, "One can disagree with my policies. The freedom of the press has a broad meaning. The deliberate misuse of the pen can be dangerous for society."
"If self-interest is not served, one will resort to lies. This is not the freedom of the press," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch