Mamata Banerjee gets standing ovation from IITians
Kolkata: In a gesture of warmth, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee gave a token gift to IITians, who arrived here for the PanIIT Global conference on Friday, and was given a standing ovation.
IITians were surprised when the Chief Minister announced a token of appreciation for all IITians comprising small quantities of rice, tea and a handicraft in a small jute bag, all products of the state.
"Usually, event sponsors offer mementos to chief guests, but this time it is the reverse, the guest offered a gift to all. In my several years, we have never experienced such a surprise. We are overwhelmed," PanIIT organising committee chairman Sandipan Chakraborty said.
She received another round of applause when she said "all security arrangements we have done are for your safety as you are more important than me."
During her speech she highlighted the financial crisis plaguing the state and said that there was a problem facing the health sector and for giving 100 days work.
Banerjee did not forget to point out that the state registered 6.9 percent SGDP in the Q1 period of 2012-13 against national growth of 5.5 percent.
She also called for investment in the IT and hardware sectors as the state government had favourable policies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof