Mamata Banerjee had herself ordered set top boxes: Manish Tewari
New Delhi: She may have opposed cable TV digitisation deadline in Kolkata but West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had herself ordered set top boxes for the state secretariat, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Monday claimed.
This, he contended, reflects her support for digitisation process which is beneficial for both consumers and the industry.
"If I am correct...I read that she had placed order for set top boxes for Writers Building the day the deadline came to an end. This clearly shows that the digitisation process is a good move for the consumers and the sector as a whole," Tewari told reporters here.
Asked if the government was contemplating action against the cable operators (MSOs) there and the state government for not adhering to the deadline, he said "we have been patient and we would expect that the state governments and MSOs concerned do honour the deadline".
While he said that already 18.57 lakh cable TV homes in Kolkata are digitised, I&B secretary Uday Kumar Varma said 93 per cent of the digitisation is already complete in Kolkata.
"It is a matter of days for achieving digitisation," he said.
The deadline in the four metros had ended on October 31, but cable homes in Kolkata, who had not switched over to digitisation, still continue to receive analogue signals, it is alleged.
In all 74.98 lakhs cable TV households in the four metros have gone for digitisation. Of this, the number is 23.44 lakh in Mumbai and 30.31 lakh in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow