Mamata Banerjee hits back at Buddhadeb Bhattacharya
Siliguri: A day after CPI-M Politburo member Buddhadeb Bhattacharya criticised the Trinamool Congress government in West Bengal for `unnecessarily` spending public money on fairs and festivals, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee hit back on Monday saying her government will keep on doing so as it provided livelihood to various people.
"When I was coming here, Mukul Roy told me that somebody yesterday had said in a meeting that the government doesn`t have money but it is conducting fairs and festivals. I told Mukul to tell them what shall we do - shall we conduct sharadh ceremony or create a vultures den?"
"They (CPI-M) have siphoned all the money and have used it to give money to their cadres. If I conduct a festival what is wrong in it? Earlier too festivals were conducted. But those festivals were not lively. The festivals organised by us have life in it," she said at a programme here.
Banerjee`s comments came a day after Bhattacharya, also former chief minister, had criticised the Trinamool Congress regime for spending public money `unnecessarily` on fairs and festivals.
Banerjee said such fairs and festivals provide livelihood to artistes and people associated with small scale industries.
"Festivals also boost the economy of the state as many people come to them to sell their products," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- Grand Alliance set to win Bihar election: Survey
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?