Mamata Banerjee hits back at Buddhadeb Bhattacharya
Siliguri: A day after CPI-M Politburo member Buddhadeb Bhattacharya criticised the Trinamool Congress government in West Bengal for `unnecessarily` spending public money on fairs and festivals, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee hit back on Monday saying her government will keep on doing so as it provided livelihood to various people.
"When I was coming here, Mukul Roy told me that somebody yesterday had said in a meeting that the government doesn`t have money but it is conducting fairs and festivals. I told Mukul to tell them what shall we do - shall we conduct sharadh ceremony or create a vultures den?"
"They (CPI-M) have siphoned all the money and have used it to give money to their cadres. If I conduct a festival what is wrong in it? Earlier too festivals were conducted. But those festivals were not lively. The festivals organised by us have life in it," she said at a programme here.
Banerjee`s comments came a day after Bhattacharya, also former chief minister, had criticised the Trinamool Congress regime for spending public money `unnecessarily` on fairs and festivals.
Banerjee said such fairs and festivals provide livelihood to artistes and people associated with small scale industries.
"Festivals also boost the economy of the state as many people come to them to sell their products," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof