Mamata Banerjee hits out at NaMO
Kolkata: Peeved at the constant comparison of Gujarat with her state, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday said chants of "Namo Namo" would have never been heard if the western state had to pay all its revenue for servicing debts.
Hitting out at BJP prime ministerial nominee and Gujarat counterpart Narendra Modi popularly referred to as "Namo", Banerjee also said she did not like taking his name.
"People behave as if there is no other state in country but Gujarat. But what is not realised is that unlike Bengal it has been getting crores of central funds.
"Those who are comparing Bengal with Gujarat I want to ask them will there be `Namo Namo` if the central government takes away Rs.74,000 crore from Gujarat," said Banerjee addressing a rally in Krishnagar in Nadia district.
The Trinamool Congress chief blamed the erstwhile Left Front government in the state for burdening Bengal with huge debts for which the central government has taken away Rs.74,000 crore towards servicing the debts in the last two and half years.
She also attacked the Gujarat government claiming that its infant and pregnant women mortality rate was far higher than compared to Bengal.
Banerjee also said it was futile to compare Bengal with Gujarat as the latter enjoyed demographic and geographical advantages.
"People say why I don`t take his name, but why should I take his name? You cannot take some names. I believe in political courtesy and talk only about issues," she said as she urged voters to annihilate the Congress, BJP and the Left parties which have formed an "unholy nexus".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state