Mamata Banerjee hopeful about Darjeeling`s future
Siliguri/Kurseong: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said that she was hopeful about the future of Darjeeling, where peace has returned after a series of bandhs crippled normal life in the recent past.
"I want people in the Hills to be happy. I want them to be have jobs, adequate food and facilities to help them lead a happy life," Banerjee told reporters after an administrative meeting in Siliguri today.
"I love the Hills and its people just as I love the Plains and its people," Banerjee, who will scheduled to visit Kurseong tomorrow for a meeting with the Lepchas, said, adding, that she would meet the GJM leadership.
"I have told GJM members who approached me that I will meet them on October 25 (Friday)," she said.
Meanwhile, in keeping with its changed stance of dialogue on the Gorkhaland movement, the GJM would welcome the CM to Darjeeling, but it was not known whether its top leaders would meet her.
"We will welcome the chief minister. Our MLAs, Gorkha Territorial Administration members will meet her as also other leaders," GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri told reporters here today.
Giri, who together with party chief Bimal Gurung, returned from Guwahati during the day, did not specify whether they would meet the CM.
GTA deputy chief, Ramesh Allay, would lead the GJM delegation comprising legislators, GTA members and party leaders. Of the 45 GTA members 11 were in jail after arrest.
It was decided earlier that the three GJM legislators, Rohit Sharma, Harka Bahadur Chettri and Trilok Dewan would meet Banerjee in Darjeeling town on October 24.
The CM would attend the first Trinamool Congress party convention at the Mal in Darjeeling town, on October 24 (Thursday).
On October 25, Banerjee would attend a meeting of the GTA and the next day she would also attend a programme at Matigara near Siliguri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced