Mamata Banerjee is intolerant: Markandey Katju
Kolkata: Press Council Chairman Justice (Retd) Markandey Katju today criticised West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for being "intolerant" to criticism.
"People have right to criticise and if one is intolerant to criticism then he or she has no right to be in politics," Katju said at Press Club here while speaking at a programme organised by Kalidas-Galib Foundation to remember writer Sunil Gangopadhyay.
"Banerjee likes herself to be surrounded by only yesmen. But you also need to have men around you who can say no. You can`t run a government if you are not ready to listen to others," he said.
"You have to run government in a democratic manner. You may take final decision but in a democracy you must listen to others," he said.
"One needs to have good advisers to run the government. It is for the government to take decision, but it is necessary that the government is given sound advice. Chanakya had said this in Arthashastra. For this, officers should be allowed to work in fearless manner," he said.
Recollecting his meeting with Banerjee, Katju said, "I had praised her earlier. She has personal integrity and she feels for the Aam Aadmi. Even Sunil Gangopadhyay had said this. But she is intolerant."
Katju also criticised Banerjee for citing the Gujarat model for development. "Having good roads and a few factories are not everything. It is an immature statement because death of children due to malnutrition is the highest in Gujarat," Katju said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case