Mamata Banerjee meets Pranab Mukherjee
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee called on President Pranab Mukherjee at Raj Bhavan here Monday night and is understood to have taken up the issue of expediting the presidential assent to a new bill to protect depositors` interest in the aftermath of the multi-crore rupees ponzi schemes scam in the state.
She was with the President for an hour but did not speak to the mediapersons waiting outside.
Earlier in the day state Finance Minister Amit Mitra met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and asked him to expedite the presidential assent.
The West Bengal Assembly had in a special session last week passed the West Bengal Protection of Interest of Depositors in Financial Establishment Bill, 2013, to protect investors of chit fund companies.
The President will leave for Delhi tomorrow after a three-day visit to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands