Mamata Banerjee meets Pranab Mukherjee
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee called on President Pranab Mukherjee at Raj Bhavan here Monday night and is understood to have taken up the issue of expediting the presidential assent to a new bill to protect depositors` interest in the aftermath of the multi-crore rupees ponzi schemes scam in the state.
She was with the President for an hour but did not speak to the mediapersons waiting outside.
Earlier in the day state Finance Minister Amit Mitra met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and asked him to expedite the presidential assent.
The West Bengal Assembly had in a special session last week passed the West Bengal Protection of Interest of Depositors in Financial Establishment Bill, 2013, to protect investors of chit fund companies.
The President will leave for Delhi tomorrow after a three-day visit to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore