Mamata Banerjee meets Pranab Mukherjee
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee called on President Pranab Mukherjee at Raj Bhavan here Monday night and is understood to have taken up the issue of expediting the presidential assent to a new bill to protect depositors` interest in the aftermath of the multi-crore rupees ponzi schemes scam in the state.
She was with the President for an hour but did not speak to the mediapersons waiting outside.
Earlier in the day state Finance Minister Amit Mitra met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and asked him to expedite the presidential assent.
The West Bengal Assembly had in a special session last week passed the West Bengal Protection of Interest of Depositors in Financial Establishment Bill, 2013, to protect investors of chit fund companies.
The President will leave for Delhi tomorrow after a three-day visit to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender