Mamata Banerjee not to share dais with PM, Sonia Gandhi
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has refused to share the dais with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi in Malda on Saturday.
Both Dr Singh and Sonia Gandhi will be in Malda in West Bengal for a brief 90-minute visit today, during which the PM will lay the foundation of an Engineering institute.
Official sources said the Prime Minister Singh and the Congress president would offer floral tributes at the grave of Malda strongman late ABA Ghani Khan Choudhury at his Kotwali residence soon after their arrival.
It is being learnt that Abu Naser, a sitting Congress MLA had gone to Writers’ Building to invite Mamata Banerjee. However, the Trinamool chief turned down the request saying that she had some other prior engagements.
The Prime minister would also lay the foundation of Ghani Khan Choudhury Institute of Engineering and Technology at Narayanpur near here at a programme in which Gandhi would also participate.
West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan would be present at the function.
Union HRD Minister M Pallam Raju, besides union ministers of state Abu Hashem Khan Choudhury, Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury and Deepa Dasmunshi would attend the functions, the sources said adding Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was also expected to participate.
AICC observer in-charge of the state Shakeel Ahmed and West Bengal PCC president Pradip Bhattacharya would also be present.
Security has been tightened in Malda town in view of the VVIP presence.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists