Mamata Banerjee opposes trade union bandh
Dhanikhali (West Bengal): The West Bengal government will not allow forcible enforcement of the two-day bandh by trade unions, to be held later this month, which would only `aggravate` the economic situation of the state, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said on Saturday.
The economic situation of the state is in a mess because of the 34 years of Left Front `misrule` and bandhs led to economic loss and ruined the state, she told a rally here.
"I do not believe in the politics of bandh. We (Trinamool Congress) have stopped taking recourse to bandh three years ago."
The Left parties, which are supporting the bandh on February 21 and 22, should instead hold agitations against the Centre on issues over which the proposed two-day strike have been called as the bandh would `serve no purpose and cause immense harm to the economy.`
"Let them (Left trade unions) agitate over the issues on which they have called bandh instead of causing economic disruption and sufferings to the daily wage earners ... There seems to be a quota of calling two bandhs in a year (by the Left). We will not allow forcible enforcement of the bandh.
Banerjee said the the administration would take the required steps if the bandh was enforced. "I urge traders and industrialists to keep their establishments and shops open on those days and to the daily wage earners to go to their work."
"At a time when we are trying to put the economy back on rails they (Left) want to stop everything", she said alleging that state was left bankrupt by the earlier Left Front government which left behind a debt burden of Rs 2.3 lakh crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly