Mamata Banerjee orders strengthening vigil over market situation: FTO
Kolkata: Expressing concern over rising prices of vegetables, fish and essential commodities, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday directed her officials to keep a strong vigil over the market trend.
"The situation needs to be contained immediately to keep it under control during the coming Durga Puja festival," secretary of the Forum of Traders` Organisation (FTO) in the state Rabindra Nath Koley, who attended the meeting, told reporters.
Chairing a meeting of the Task Force on price rise, Banerjee asked officials of the Enforcement Branch to keep a vigil on all markets to prevent abnormal rise in prices of vegetables and essential items, Koley said.
He said the Chief Minister has asked her officials to stop transportation of potato and onion to neighbouring countries until the crisis was over.
Stating that the state government has already arranged to open `right price stalls` in seven markets under the Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC), Koley said such an arrangement has also been made by the traders in another 14 markets in the metropolis.
Koley, however, described this price rise as a cumulative effect of hike in prices of fertiliser, petroleum products and railway freight.
Among others, state`s Agriculture Minister Purnendu Bose was also present in the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA