Mamata Banerjee orders strengthening vigil over market situation: FTO
Kolkata: Expressing concern over rising prices of vegetables, fish and essential commodities, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday directed her officials to keep a strong vigil over the market trend.
"The situation needs to be contained immediately to keep it under control during the coming Durga Puja festival," secretary of the Forum of Traders` Organisation (FTO) in the state Rabindra Nath Koley, who attended the meeting, told reporters.
Chairing a meeting of the Task Force on price rise, Banerjee asked officials of the Enforcement Branch to keep a vigil on all markets to prevent abnormal rise in prices of vegetables and essential items, Koley said.
He said the Chief Minister has asked her officials to stop transportation of potato and onion to neighbouring countries until the crisis was over.
Stating that the state government has already arranged to open `right price stalls` in seven markets under the Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC), Koley said such an arrangement has also been made by the traders in another 14 markets in the metropolis.
Koley, however, described this price rise as a cumulative effect of hike in prices of fertiliser, petroleum products and railway freight.
Among others, state`s Agriculture Minister Purnendu Bose was also present in the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir