Mamata Banerjee pays tribute to people of Singur
Singur: Terming Singur and Nandigram as
a turning point in West Bengal politics, Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee on Monday acknowledged the contribution of the people of
Singur in the movement against forcible farmland acquisition.
Observing `Singur Day`, Banerjee told a public rally
here that and her government was in the process of formulating
a new land policy.
"God has given me enough strength to overcome crisis and
attack and I have full faith on Ma, Mati and Manush (mother,
land and people) to serve you. I never bowed my head in the
past nor will I succumb to pressure," she said.
She said her government had already taken a move to
return the forcibly acquired land at Rajarhat in North 24
Parganas district within a month of coming to power.
Banerjee noted her government had not taken any revenge
after coming to power though `many misdeeds` of the previous
regime had surfaced like recovery of huge quantities of arms,
ammunition and seven skeletons from near the ancestral
house of CPI(M) MLA and former minister Sushanta Ghosh.
"I may open two museums - one of seized arms and
ammunition and another of skeletons that CPI(M) has left for
the state," she said sarcastically.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka