Mamata Banerjee sacks Firhad Hakim as party spokesperson
Kolkata: With pressure mounting on West Bengal minister Firhad Hakim for his alleged role in shielding some of those involved in the February 12 violence and the killing of a police officer at Garden Reach here, the Trinamool Congress has removed him as government spokesman.
"Hakim has been asked to keep a low profile. He used to brief the media on behalf of the government under the instruction of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. But from now on he won`t be speaking on the behalf of the government," a senior Trinamool Congress leader, who did not wish to be identified, told a news agency here.
Asked to comment on the Opposition’s demand for the removal of Hakim after Governor MK Narayanan said that he did not have any business to do it, the leader said, "He is a Cabinet minister. Any decision on a Cabinet minister will have to be taken by the Chief Minister."
Hakim has been accused of shielding Mohammed Iqbal, a Trinamool Councillor of Garden Reach, who is said to be a close to him.
Iqbal has been absconding since Tuesday night with the CID, entrusted with probing the killing, looking for him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users