Mamata Banerjee sacks Firhad Hakim as party spokesperson
Kolkata: With pressure mounting on West Bengal minister Firhad Hakim for his alleged role in shielding some of those involved in the February 12 violence and the killing of a police officer at Garden Reach here, the Trinamool Congress has removed him as government spokesman.
"Hakim has been asked to keep a low profile. He used to brief the media on behalf of the government under the instruction of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. But from now on he won`t be speaking on the behalf of the government," a senior Trinamool Congress leader, who did not wish to be identified, told a news agency here.
Asked to comment on the Opposition’s demand for the removal of Hakim after Governor MK Narayanan said that he did not have any business to do it, the leader said, "He is a Cabinet minister. Any decision on a Cabinet minister will have to be taken by the Chief Minister."
Hakim has been accused of shielding Mohammed Iqbal, a Trinamool Councillor of Garden Reach, who is said to be a close to him.
Iqbal has been absconding since Tuesday night with the CID, entrusted with probing the killing, looking for him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh