Mamata Banerjee sacks Firhad Hakim as party spokesperson
Kolkata: With pressure mounting on West Bengal minister Firhad Hakim for his alleged role in shielding some of those involved in the February 12 violence and the killing of a police officer at Garden Reach here, the Trinamool Congress has removed him as government spokesman.
"Hakim has been asked to keep a low profile. He used to brief the media on behalf of the government under the instruction of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. But from now on he won`t be speaking on the behalf of the government," a senior Trinamool Congress leader, who did not wish to be identified, told a news agency here.
Asked to comment on the Opposition’s demand for the removal of Hakim after Governor MK Narayanan said that he did not have any business to do it, the leader said, "He is a Cabinet minister. Any decision on a Cabinet minister will have to be taken by the Chief Minister."
Hakim has been accused of shielding Mohammed Iqbal, a Trinamool Councillor of Garden Reach, who is said to be a close to him.
Iqbal has been absconding since Tuesday night with the CID, entrusted with probing the killing, looking for him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations