Mamata Banerjee says Tehatta police firing `undesirable`
Tehatta (WB): Dubbing as `undesirable` the police firing that claimed one life on November 14 in this Nadia district town, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday personally handed over a compensation cheque to the victim`s wife.
"The police firing was undesirable. I am not happy. Nobody is happy. We will have to take steps to stop recurrence of such incidents," Banerjee, who also holds the Home (Police) department, told a rally here.
Stressing on social and human face of the administration, she said a judicial inquiry into the incident has already been ordered by the state government.
The chief minister said she visited the family of the victim (Ashok Sen), who died in the police firing, and handed over a compensation cheque of Rs two lakh to his wife and assured the job of a homeguard to one family member.
Two persons, who received injuries in police firing, would also be given government assistance, Banerjee added.
Trouble rocked this border town on November 14 after police refusal to allow a Jagaddhatri puja at a particular spot.
Police had lathicharged and then opened fire after a mob hurled brickbats and torched two police vehicles.
The chief minister also spoke strongly against the `politics of communalism` and said her government would sternly deal with any attempt to foment communal trouble in the state.
"Riots help none. Everyone should hate riots and help create a congenial environment for all to live in peace," she said.
Banerjee, who walked to the rally ground, dwelt at length on the hardship her government was facing due to acute paucity of funds of over Rs 2.05 lakh crore left by the previous Left Front government.
"We are trying to deliver the goods to you under severe financial constraints. There are problems everywhere. We have set a target of providing jobs to 10 lakh in five years," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo