Mamata Banerjee visits Amlasole village; first by a CM in 10 years
Amlasole (WB): Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday visited West Midnapore district`s Amlasole village, which had hit headlines in 2004 for starvation deaths during Left Front rule, and said no one will be allowed to die from hunger.
Recalling that she had first came the village when she was in the opposition in 2004 when the starvation deaths had taken place, Banerjee, who was the first Chief Minister in 10 years to visit, said this was the same place where people died due to starvation in 2004 during Left rule.
"I had come here then. Today I want to say that no one during our rule will starve," she told a rally here in West Midnapore district.
Banerjee noted that the Trinamool Congress government was providing rice at Rs 2 per kg to all BPL families and stressed that steps had been taken to create better infrastructure in the area.
"Apart from the rationing system, we have ensured better infrastructure for better connectivity. We have achieved a rare feat in ensuring near about 95 days work in the 100 days work scheme," said Banerjee.
Admitting that the area was remote, she said that it did not mean that it would be neglected.
"I will tell my officials and leaders to visit this place at regular intervals to ensure that development work takes place at a rapid pace.
"For ushering development, what you need most is a heart to work for the people," Banerjee said.
Without naming the Maoists, Banerjee said that along with developmental work it also needed to be seen that none tried to incite violence or bloodshed in the area.
Banerjee also urged villagers not to marry off their daughter before the age of 18 as her government had taken steps to ensure that girl children get education free till class XII.
She also noted that the area had potential for tourism and would ensure that proper infrastructure for it came up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’