Mamata Banerjee visits Amlasole village; first by a CM in 10 years
Amlasole (WB): Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday visited West Midnapore district`s Amlasole village, which had hit headlines in 2004 for starvation deaths during Left Front rule, and said no one will be allowed to die from hunger.
Recalling that she had first came the village when she was in the opposition in 2004 when the starvation deaths had taken place, Banerjee, who was the first Chief Minister in 10 years to visit, said this was the same place where people died due to starvation in 2004 during Left rule.
"I had come here then. Today I want to say that no one during our rule will starve," she told a rally here in West Midnapore district.
Banerjee noted that the Trinamool Congress government was providing rice at Rs 2 per kg to all BPL families and stressed that steps had been taken to create better infrastructure in the area.
"Apart from the rationing system, we have ensured better infrastructure for better connectivity. We have achieved a rare feat in ensuring near about 95 days work in the 100 days work scheme," said Banerjee.
Admitting that the area was remote, she said that it did not mean that it would be neglected.
"I will tell my officials and leaders to visit this place at regular intervals to ensure that development work takes place at a rapid pace.
"For ushering development, what you need most is a heart to work for the people," Banerjee said.
Without naming the Maoists, Banerjee said that along with developmental work it also needed to be seen that none tried to incite violence or bloodshed in the area.
Banerjee also urged villagers not to marry off their daughter before the age of 18 as her government had taken steps to ensure that girl children get education free till class XII.
She also noted that the area had potential for tourism and would ensure that proper infrastructure for it came up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy