‘Mamata being more Leftist than the Leftists’
Kolkata: CPI(M) leader Mohammed Salim has accused Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee of trying to be more "Leftist than the Leftists" by attacking the government over reforms including FDI in retail.
However, the Trinamool Congress said that it is taking a principled stand and is not in competition with the Left.
CPI(M) Central Committee member Salim said, "It is good that she (Banerjee) is now opposing, but she is trying to take a holier than thou image. She is trying to be more Leftist than the Leftists".
"This is nothing new. It was also tried in Europe and South America and several other places to destroy the Left organisations," Salim said.
He said, "This strange situation is unfolding in Kerala too where the Congress-led UDF is opposing the FDI policy because of the compulsion to deter the Left parties."
Holding that Mamata Banerjee was a product of the Congress, he said, "When in 1991 reform measures were first announced she did not oppose them.
"And, even in 2002 when FDI in retail was proposed she did not oppose it. It is good that she is now learning," Salim said.
Countering the charge, senior Trinamool Congress leader Saugata Roy said, "We are not competing with the Left in opposing multi-brand retail because we have taken a principled position on the this even when we were in UPA 2 government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan