Mamata blames CPI-M, media for Haldia deadlock
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday accused the Opposition CPI(M) and a section of media of running a misleading campaign on the deadlock at the Haldia dock.
"We have given full police protection. The CPI(M) is running a misleading campaign along with one or two media houses for their self interest," Banerjee told reporters here.
Three officials of the cargo handling company Haldia Bulk Terminals (HBT) were allegedly abducted two days ago by outsiders.
Meanwhile, CPI(M) leader Suryakanta Mishra demanded a probe to ascertain how the situation had worsened in the profit-making port.
"We want to know whose interest is being safeguarded in the Haldia docks or if any deal has been reached," Mishra, who is Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly, said, claiming that the port`s development was due to steps taken by previous Left Front government.
Questioning as to why the chief minister was sticking to her stand that everything was fine at Haldia, he said, "Haldia docks are the lifeline of the region and the state government is responsible for the present state of affairs there."
WBPCC President Pradip Bhattacharya demanded restoration of normalcy in Haldia and accused the ruling party of siding with "a select business group".
"The state government should rise above party politics and look after Haldia port`s interests," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset