Mamata blames Jharkhand govt and DVC, seeks PM`s intervention
Gopiballavpur (WB): Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today blamed the release of water from reservoirs in Jharkhand by the Damodar Valley Corporation for floods in a number of south Bengal districts.
Describing this as `man-made floods`, the Chief Minister said it was done without consulting the West Bengal government and sought intervention of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Banerjee, who reviewed the flood situation in worst-hit West Midnapore district, has already written to Singh.
She said the state government had earlier requested the Jharkhand government and DVC authorities to release water in a phased manner allowing people to move to safer places.
"If this was done in a phased manner and with prior intimation this situation would not have happened," she said.
She directed the district administration to repair all damaged houses and roads, after the water receded.
"During my meeting with the district administration, I have directed repair of all damaged houses within three days and roads at the earliest possible after the water recedes," Banerjee said.
The Chief Minister handed over relief materials in camps and asked district administration to provide medicines to the ill and injured.
Banerjee also held a meeting with the administration at Kolaghat in East Midnapore district and Howrah district.
The areas have been flooded by heavy rains and release of water from the DVC, Galudi and Kangsabati dams.
The DVC authority, however, released a less quantity of water, which resulted in improvement of the situation in low-lying areas of Hooghly and Howrah districts.
The Army said one column has been sent to repair a collapsed bridge and breached embankments in West Midnapore district at the request of the state government.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!