Mamata breaks tradition, hoists flag at Red Road
Kolkata: Breaking a tradition in place since 1948, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Wednesday unfurled the tricolour at the Indira Gandhi Sarani, also known as Red Road, instead of the state secretariat Writers` Buildings here on Independence Day.
She also inspected a guard of honour and witnessed a march-past in which personnel of Kolkata Police, West Bengal Police and Rapid Action Force and school students participated.
West Bengal Police, Eastern Frontier Rifles, various state departments and schools also took out colourful tableaux.
Elaborate security arrangements had been made at Red Road for the march past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar