Mamata calls Pranab `son of the soil`
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Thursday hailed President Pranab Mukherjee as "son of the soil" and said the state had produced the best brains in science and other fields.
"I`m proud to say that West Bengal is the brain of science in India and people from the state have done well in all spheres of life -- from science to literature to art to music," Banerjee said in her address at the inauguration of Indian Science Congress here.
Praising Mukherjee, who was the chief guest at the five-day event, the chief minister said: "Our president is also the son of the soil."
"Bengal has given maximum number of Nobel laureates to India and the state has produced many well-known scientists," she said.
The event also brought Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Mamata Banerjee face-to-face for the first time after her exit from the central government. Banerjee shared the dais with Manmohan Singh.
During the presidential election last year, Banerjee had opposed Pranab Mukherjee tooth and nail and tried to rally other political parties against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal