Mamata calls Pranab `son of the soil`
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Thursday hailed President Pranab Mukherjee as "son of the soil" and said the state had produced the best brains in science and other fields.
"I`m proud to say that West Bengal is the brain of science in India and people from the state have done well in all spheres of life -- from science to literature to art to music," Banerjee said in her address at the inauguration of Indian Science Congress here.
Praising Mukherjee, who was the chief guest at the five-day event, the chief minister said: "Our president is also the son of the soil."
"Bengal has given maximum number of Nobel laureates to India and the state has produced many well-known scientists," she said.
The event also brought Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Mamata Banerjee face-to-face for the first time after her exit from the central government. Banerjee shared the dais with Manmohan Singh.
During the presidential election last year, Banerjee had opposed Pranab Mukherjee tooth and nail and tried to rally other political parties against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch