Mamata calls up Buddha with invite for film fest
Kolkata: Breaking the ice after three years, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Wednesday personally called up her predecessor and arch-foe Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee to invite him to the 17th Kolkata film festival starting Thursday.
This is the first time the film festival is being held after Bhattacharjee demitted office following the Left Front`s rout in the April-May assembly elections. The festival is considered Bhattacharjee`s brainchild.
Banerjee told Bhattacharjee, an avid film buff, "it will make me happy if you come for the inauguration". However, the former chief minister cited pre-occupation with another programme which will keep him away.
Banerjee told him that she will send an invitation for him and his wife and daughter.
The two leaders, known for their deep dislike for each other, seldom see eye to eye, literally.
The two had last spoken to each other Sep 12, 2008, when they held a failed round of talks at the Calcutta Information Centre at the height of the Singur crisis. Days before that, Banerjee - then spearheading the anti land acquisition movement against the Tata Nano plant at Singur, and Bhattacharjee had first met at the Raj Bahvan during talks brokered by then governor Gopal Krishna Gandhi
At her swearing in May 13, Banerjee had greeted the former chief minister in traditional Indian style.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31