Mamata chairs high-level meeting after CPI-M, Trinamool clash
Kolkata (WB): With CPI(M) and Trinamool workers clashing in South 24 Parganas district and indulging in violence, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today held a high-level meeting at the state secretariat here.
Banerjee, who was recuperating from fever and advised rest, came to Writers Building shortly after the violence broke out and held a meeting with Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra, Home Secretary Basudeb Banerjee and Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Surajit Kar Purakayastha.
CPI(M) and Trinamool workers today clashed at Bamunghata in South 24 Parganas district leaving a number of workers of both parties injured, including one with bullet injury, while 10 vehicles were damaged and torched.
Trouble arose when the CPI(M) workers who were to hold a protest rally at Alipore were going past Bamunghata in vehicles where the Trinamool Congress was holding a meeting, Superintendent of Police Pravin Tripathy said.
Asked which party was responsible for the firing, the Chief Secretary parried a direct reply and told reporters, "Everything will be known only after a report is received." He did not elaborate.
On whether an inquiry into the violence would be ordered, Mitra said, "Everything will be followed as per rules."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`