Mamata claims WB top performing state, to meet PM on Tuesday
Kolkata: Asserting that West Bengal was the top performing state in the country, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday said she would meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh tomorrow to seek `justice`, as the opposition Congress and CPI(M) tore into her claims.
"We are not begging. We are not demanding any special package. We are demanding our rightful share. As far as performance is concerned, we are number one in the country," Banerjee told reporters before leaving for Delhi.
"I am going to Delhi to seek justice. We are not going to meet him (Singh) as a partyman, but Manmohan Singh is the prime minister of the country. We want to know why Bengal is deprived. We will also protest against the economic blockade by the Centre," the chief minister said.
Banerjee said, "I have lots of acquaintances in Delhi, but my visit to Delhi is not for a political meeting. It is entirely on the state`s financial situation."
Banerjee said that before meeting the Prime Minister, she would meet the Planning Commission tomorrow. "I will submit reports on our performance and achievements on various projects to the Commission," she said.
She said she would also meet Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday. "It is almost two years (of TMC government coming to power). How long should we wait for central funds I will ask the finance minister."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- ICC World T20: Pakistan announce 15-man squad; Shahid Afridi to lead, Ahmed Shehzad dropped
- Net Neutrality: Facebook board member's offensive tweet on 'colonialism' leaves Indians fuming