Mamata cold shoulders demand for CBI probe into Saradha chitfund scam
Kolkata: Virtually cold-shouldering Opposition CPI(M)`s demand for a CBI enquiry into the Saradha chitfund scam in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday said similar probes into incidents in Singur and Nandigram had not yielded results.
"There have been so many CBI probes. If there was result then I would have thought of it. There is no justice as yet in the Tapasi Malik murder case in Singur and in the killings in Nandigram," Banerjee said, replying to the debate on the Governor`s address in the Assembly.
Even in the Netai and Choto Angaria killings, CBI inquiries did not produce any result so far, she said.
"CPI(M) and Congress are brothers. They don`t have any escape route without CBI," Banerjee said.
Stating that she would not allow anyone to go scot-free for wrong doing, Banerjee said Trinamool Congress councillor Sambhunath Kow accused of killing party leader Adhir Maity at Dhapa had been arrested.
Mohammad Iqbal alias Munna was arrested for the killing of a sub-inspector of police at Garden Reach and was now on bail, she added.
Stating that TMC MP Kunal Ghosh was arrested in the the Saradha chit fund scam, she asked, "Did they (CPI-M) take any action against their partymen?"
"The Left government in West Bengal had enacted a law to protect small investors. But the bill didn`t get presidential assent. The bill was revised in 2009 by the Left government. Even then the President didn`t give assent," she said.
Banerjee said her government had already given compensation of Rs 10,000 each to two lakh duped investors of Saradha and similar assistance would be given to another four lakh.
After the scandal came to light, she had announced that a Rs 500 crore corpus would be set up to indemnify duped investors.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani