Mamata cold shoulders demand for CBI probe into Saradha chitfund scam
Kolkata: Virtually cold-shouldering Opposition CPI(M)`s demand for a CBI enquiry into the Saradha chitfund scam in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday said similar probes into incidents in Singur and Nandigram had not yielded results.
"There have been so many CBI probes. If there was result then I would have thought of it. There is no justice as yet in the Tapasi Malik murder case in Singur and in the killings in Nandigram," Banerjee said, replying to the debate on the Governor`s address in the Assembly.
Even in the Netai and Choto Angaria killings, CBI inquiries did not produce any result so far, she said.
"CPI(M) and Congress are brothers. They don`t have any escape route without CBI," Banerjee said.
Stating that she would not allow anyone to go scot-free for wrong doing, Banerjee said Trinamool Congress councillor Sambhunath Kow accused of killing party leader Adhir Maity at Dhapa had been arrested.
Mohammad Iqbal alias Munna was arrested for the killing of a sub-inspector of police at Garden Reach and was now on bail, she added.
Stating that TMC MP Kunal Ghosh was arrested in the the Saradha chit fund scam, she asked, "Did they (CPI-M) take any action against their partymen?"
"The Left government in West Bengal had enacted a law to protect small investors. But the bill didn`t get presidential assent. The bill was revised in 2009 by the Left government. Even then the President didn`t give assent," she said.
Banerjee said her government had already given compensation of Rs 10,000 each to two lakh duped investors of Saradha and similar assistance would be given to another four lakh.
After the scandal came to light, she had announced that a Rs 500 crore corpus would be set up to indemnify duped investors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe