Mamata dares adversaries to fight her politically
Kolkata: With union minister Deepa Dasmunshi stopped from visiting Tehatta in Nadia district where Wednesday`s police firing left one person dead, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday challenged adversaries to fight her politically and not to whip up communal passions.
"Fight me politically if you can. I am ready. I have no objection, but don`t try to whip up communal passions. I am the last person to tolerate it," Banerjee said addressing a meeting organised by the city police here.
The chief minister said that administration looked after law and order and would not spare those who tried to whip up communal passions.
Referring to the incident as `unfortunate`, Banerjee, whose government came under fire from the Congress and the Left parties over handling of the situation, said, "Don`t try to add political colour to the incident. Don`t play with fire."
Stating that an inquiry was on into the incident, she said that the guilty would be punished.
"The violence as also the (police) firing were not desirable," she said.
She said it had to be investigated how the SDPO of Tehatta found himself isolated from the rest of his forces and was attacked by armed people.
"Is it proper to attack the police officer`s house? Tomorrow my house can also be attacked, if it is supported," she said.
The officer-in-charge of the Tehatta police station was transferred, she said.
"In (the case of the police-villagers clash) in Birbhum, the state government took prompt action. The SP was removed," she said.
Stating that the incident at Tehatta was not a small one, she said, "it has to be seen why it has happened and who were behind it.
Banerjee said that her government was looking after the family of the victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?