Mamata decries hue and cry over Lokpal bill
Kolkata: Reacting for the first time on Anna Hazare`s movement for a strong Lokpal, West Bengal Chief Minister, Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said, there should not be so much hue and cry outside Parliament, where a bill on the issue is waiting to be discussed.
"Many persons have been making their views and I admit they have the right to do so, but I must also ask while the issue is yet to be discussed in Parliament, why there should be so much hue and cry," Mamata, whose Trinamool Congress is the second largest partner in the UPA government, told a press conference.
She made her observation, when reporters asked her for comment on Hazare`s movement against corruption.
Banerjee, however, asserted that she and her party were against corruption. "We are against corruption. Our Prime Minister personally is not corrupt. He is an honest man. But the system needs to be improved," she said.
Speaking on the issue of corruption, Banerjee said, "What is needed is a comprehensive method to reform the system."
"There should be judicial reforms, administrative reforms, electoral reforms, recovery of black money and stopping further misuse of government funds," she said.
To another question, the chief minister said, when the Lokpal bill is tabled, all parties would give their opinions.
"We will also give our opinion then," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster