Mamata decries hue and cry over Lokpal bill
Kolkata: Reacting for the first time on Anna Hazare`s movement for a strong Lokpal, West Bengal Chief Minister, Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said, there should not be so much hue and cry outside Parliament, where a bill on the issue is waiting to be discussed.
"Many persons have been making their views and I admit they have the right to do so, but I must also ask while the issue is yet to be discussed in Parliament, why there should be so much hue and cry," Mamata, whose Trinamool Congress is the second largest partner in the UPA government, told a press conference.
She made her observation, when reporters asked her for comment on Hazare`s movement against corruption.
Banerjee, however, asserted that she and her party were against corruption. "We are against corruption. Our Prime Minister personally is not corrupt. He is an honest man. But the system needs to be improved," she said.
Speaking on the issue of corruption, Banerjee said, "What is needed is a comprehensive method to reform the system."
"There should be judicial reforms, administrative reforms, electoral reforms, recovery of black money and stopping further misuse of government funds," she said.
To another question, the chief minister said, when the Lokpal bill is tabled, all parties would give their opinions.
"We will also give our opinion then," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27