Mamata decries hue and cry over Lokpal bill
Kolkata: Reacting for the first time on Anna Hazare`s movement for a strong Lokpal, West Bengal Chief Minister, Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said, there should not be so much hue and cry outside Parliament, where a bill on the issue is waiting to be discussed.
"Many persons have been making their views and I admit they have the right to do so, but I must also ask while the issue is yet to be discussed in Parliament, why there should be so much hue and cry," Mamata, whose Trinamool Congress is the second largest partner in the UPA government, told a press conference.
She made her observation, when reporters asked her for comment on Hazare`s movement against corruption.
Banerjee, however, asserted that she and her party were against corruption. "We are against corruption. Our Prime Minister personally is not corrupt. He is an honest man. But the system needs to be improved," she said.
Speaking on the issue of corruption, Banerjee said, "What is needed is a comprehensive method to reform the system."
"There should be judicial reforms, administrative reforms, electoral reforms, recovery of black money and stopping further misuse of government funds," she said.
To another question, the chief minister said, when the Lokpal bill is tabled, all parties would give their opinions.
"We will also give our opinion then," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?