Mamata decries hue and cry over Lokpal bill
Kolkata: Reacting for the first time on Anna Hazare`s movement for a strong Lokpal, West Bengal Chief Minister, Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said, there should not be so much hue and cry outside Parliament, where a bill on the issue is waiting to be discussed.
"Many persons have been making their views and I admit they have the right to do so, but I must also ask while the issue is yet to be discussed in Parliament, why there should be so much hue and cry," Mamata, whose Trinamool Congress is the second largest partner in the UPA government, told a press conference.
She made her observation, when reporters asked her for comment on Hazare`s movement against corruption.
Banerjee, however, asserted that she and her party were against corruption. "We are against corruption. Our Prime Minister personally is not corrupt. He is an honest man. But the system needs to be improved," she said.
Speaking on the issue of corruption, Banerjee said, "What is needed is a comprehensive method to reform the system."
"There should be judicial reforms, administrative reforms, electoral reforms, recovery of black money and stopping further misuse of government funds," she said.
To another question, the chief minister said, when the Lokpal bill is tabled, all parties would give their opinions.
"We will also give our opinion then," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video