Mamata defends spending on festivals
Panagarh: Taking a dig at the Opposition CPI(M) for criticising her for allegedly wasting government funds on festivals, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday defended it saying it was meant for the people.
"Can people survive without earth? Can there be life without water? Who are saying this? Should I not showcase the achievements of farmers? Should I not glorify the small scale sector? Is it wrong to hold festivals on this?" Banerjee said, inaugurating the `Mati Utsav` (soil festival) here in Burdwan district.
"Should we not speak about education and culture? Questions are being raised why festivals are held. Yes it will be held a 100 and a lakh times," she said.
She wondered why film, jatra (folk theatre) and soil festivals and language festivals were not thought of when the Left were in power in the state.
"There was `kaka` (uncle) mela, `dada` (brother), `didi` (sister) mela during the previous regime," she said.
She said her government organised the `soil festival` to showcase the achievements made in agriculture and the state government`s attempts to dig ponds under the Jal Dharo, Jal Bharo scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!