Mamata demands visit by Central team to Bengal
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata
Banerjee on Thursday demanded that a Central team visit West Bengal
after one person was killed and six were injured at Khanakul
in Hooghly district in the continuing turf war between her
party and the CPI(M).
Banerjee said she had spoken to Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram, Union Finance Pranab Mukherjee and Congress
president Sonia Gandhi and demanded that a Central team be
sent to the state.
"If necessary, the Union Home Minister should also
visit the state," she told a TV news channel from Delhi.
"Political violence in which over 100 party supporters
were killed is continuing since the Lok Sabha elections. There
is no law and order, no administration and no action. The
Central government can`t sit idle in this situation and should
protect the people," she said.
Asked when the team was likely to visit the state,
Banerjee replied that it would be within two to three days.
"The Home Minister who has gone to Mumbai will decide
it after his return," she said.
Alleging that violence was unleashed at the behest of
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, she said a Central
team should visit violence-hit areas and give protection to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday