Mamata devises Durga Puja theme
Kolkata: The cultural inclinations of Railway minister Mamata Banerjee would be manifest in the upcoming Durga Puja in the metropolis, as she is keen to revive the concept of the puja this year.
Banerjee, who has planned to change the entire concept of
Durga Puja for this year, will even compose a musical piece to
go with the three-minute light and sound show to be held here.
The minister has already prepared the sketches of Goddess
Durga and the dome-shaped interiors of the Bakulbagan
Sarbojanin Durgotsab in Bhowanipore near here.
She has also given tips on the lighting arrangement
during the festival and decided on the hymns and songs for the
A quintessential Bengali, the Railway Minister is
usually seen either drawing sketches on the podiums at
functions or playing Rabindra Sangeet tunes on her synthesizer
in chats with close friends during the puja days which give a
fairytale halo to the city.
"We were overwhelmed when didi, keeping her promise
handed over the elaborate sketch of the idol, complete with
decorations and notes of the musical composition and colour of
lighting, to me and assistant secretary Ram Kumar Dey at her
Kalighat residence on August 14," puja committee secretary
Ashit Ghosh said.
Ghosh said the sketch was made really professionally and
he intended to keep it with him forever.
- New violence as Paris police break up youth protest
- China, Russia rap US missile defence plan in S Korea
- WATCH: Dance-off! Hardik Pandya vs Virat Kohli and Chris Gayle - Who did it better?
- Indian's body to be brought back from Saudi tomorrow: HC told
- Talks important to end hostility between India, Pakistan; Muslim nations worst victims of terrorism: Mehbooba Mufti