Mamata diluting chit-fund issue to save own men: Congress
Kolkata: In the wake of the multi-crore Saradha Group chit fund scam, the Congress Friday accused the Mamata Banerjee-led West Bengal government of trying to dilute the issue to save its "own people".
"I think the (Bengal) government is trying to save their own people and trying to dilute the issue. I am shocked that the government has not filed any FIR (against the group) yet," state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya said.
The group, one of the largest chit fund companies in eastern India, went bust and its offices last week downed shutters, unable to repay lakhs of depositors. Company chief Sudipto Sen has been arrested and is being prosecuted for cheating.
Several investors have filed First Information Reports and police complaints against Sen, alleging cheating and fraud.
Sen, who had fled the state before being arrested from Jammu and Kashmir, had written to the Central Bureau of Investigation, blaming several high-profile Trinamool Congress and Congress leaders of complicity in the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says