Mamata diluting chit-fund issue to save own men: Congress
Kolkata: In the wake of the multi-crore Saradha Group chit fund scam, the Congress Friday accused the Mamata Banerjee-led West Bengal government of trying to dilute the issue to save its "own people".
"I think the (Bengal) government is trying to save their own people and trying to dilute the issue. I am shocked that the government has not filed any FIR (against the group) yet," state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya said.
The group, one of the largest chit fund companies in eastern India, went bust and its offices last week downed shutters, unable to repay lakhs of depositors. Company chief Sudipto Sen has been arrested and is being prosecuted for cheating.
Several investors have filed First Information Reports and police complaints against Sen, alleging cheating and fraud.
Sen, who had fled the state before being arrested from Jammu and Kashmir, had written to the Central Bureau of Investigation, blaming several high-profile Trinamool Congress and Congress leaders of complicity in the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened