Mamata does balancing act after anti-rape protests
Khatra: In a balancing act after massive protests in Kolkata over rise in rapes in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday had sharp words for intellectuals who had deserted her, while appealing for help to raise social awareness against such crimes.
"Some are talking big ... Some are saying that parivartan (change) has taken place because of them. Some are claiming that I became the Chief Minister only because of them," she said addressing a panchayat election meeting in Bankura district.
"I had to fight for 34 years. This did not happen in a day. None should forget this. Parivartan took place because of Ma, Mati, Manush," she said.
Referring to her 26-day fast over the Singur land issue, she asked how many of the intellectuals who are now up in arms against her government were present then, while acknowledging that noted writer and Jnanpith awardee Mahasweta Devi was beside her.
Mahasweta Devi, who has been her supporter but also been critical of her government on various issues, did not take part in yesterday`s protest by intellectuals and prominent personalities.
"These kind of incidents are very bad ... As I have the responsibility, you too have it ... I request those who are connected with literature, drama, films and other fields and (news tv) channels should also build up social awareness while doing their job," she said going into appeal mode during her over 90-minute speech.
"I seek help from everybody so that none can indulge in such bad acts," she said.
She, however, renewed her attack on panelists on some news channels, many of whom she had earlier alleged were linked to pornography, saying "Why in the name of discussions are you teaching children these bad things?"
She again attacked the National Crime Records Bureau for listing West Bengal on top in crimes against women saying "Look at Kerala, Rajasthan and Chhattisgarh."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India