Mamata "fascist and intolerant": CPI(M)
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Monday castigated West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for allegedly targeting a book by a senior IPS officer on the plight of Muslims in the state, charging it reflected her "fascist" and "intolerant" attitude.
"Such a move reflects her fascistic attitude, an attitude of total intolerance. It is an anti-thesis of our democratic values," senior CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury alleged here.
He alleged Banerjee had on several occasions earlier "shown such intolerance and taken blanket action and getting arrested a professor for onpassing a cartoon or a poor peasant for asking a question on fertiliser shortage, by branding them as Maoists."
Yechury also said "we understand that the writer (whose book was banned) is her sympathiser."
In the latest instance, the Mamata Banerjee-led government has banned IPS officer Nazrul Islam`s book, titled `Musalmander Ki Karaniya (What Muslims Should Do)` in which he has highlighted the plight of Muslims in West Bengal and discusses how to improve their lot.
The book has been brought out by a noted Kolkata-based publisher whose office premises, sales counter and godown were raided by the Enforcement Branch of Kolkata Police, a charge denied by Kolkata police.
When Banerjee was the Railway Minister, Islam was an official of the Railways in charge of safety. After Trinamool Congress came to power in the state, Islam was made Additional Director General (Training) of West Bengal Police, a post he now holds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future