Mamata "fascist and intolerant": CPI(M)
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Monday castigated West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for allegedly targeting a book by a senior IPS officer on the plight of Muslims in the state, charging it reflected her "fascist" and "intolerant" attitude.
"Such a move reflects her fascistic attitude, an attitude of total intolerance. It is an anti-thesis of our democratic values," senior CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury alleged here.
He alleged Banerjee had on several occasions earlier "shown such intolerance and taken blanket action and getting arrested a professor for onpassing a cartoon or a poor peasant for asking a question on fertiliser shortage, by branding them as Maoists."
Yechury also said "we understand that the writer (whose book was banned) is her sympathiser."
In the latest instance, the Mamata Banerjee-led government has banned IPS officer Nazrul Islam`s book, titled `Musalmander Ki Karaniya (What Muslims Should Do)` in which he has highlighted the plight of Muslims in West Bengal and discusses how to improve their lot.
The book has been brought out by a noted Kolkata-based publisher whose office premises, sales counter and godown were raided by the Enforcement Branch of Kolkata Police, a charge denied by Kolkata police.
When Banerjee was the Railway Minister, Islam was an official of the Railways in charge of safety. After Trinamool Congress came to power in the state, Islam was made Additional Director General (Training) of West Bengal Police, a post he now holds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’