Mamata flags off Asansol-Chennai weekly train
Burdwan (WB): West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee flagged off weekly Asansol-Chennai Central Express on Saturday and said promises made by her during her tenure as Railway minister were now being carried out.
``Nobody had done anything for West Bengal earlier. But I assured to do as much as possible during my stint as Railway Minister. The work is being done now," she said at the function on the occasion.
Banerjee, who was accompanied by Railway Minister Mukul Roy and flagged off the train through remote, said she had announced 16 railways projects for the state in the past one and half years and work on 14 of them had been completed.
Measures for development of the socio-economic sector had also been taken, Banerjee said.
She also inaugurated EMU services on the completed portion of Burdwan-Bolgona rail route, which has been converted from narrow gauge line to broadguage and laid the foundation stone of the four-lane Burdwan road overbridge.
Speaking at the function, Roy said 2009-2011 was the `golden age` of the Railways as Banerjee, then Railways minister had promised a number of projects for Bengal, were now being implemented.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!