Mamata for elections in Darjeeling, GTA
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee on Friday asserted that elections would be held in
Darjeeling with the setting up of the new hill council Gorkha
Territorial Administration, but the GJM was not willing to
"GTA agreement has been made and election will be held in
accordance with it," she told reporters at the state
President Pratibha Patil recently gave assent to the
Gorkha Territorial Administration Bill for establishment of
the hill council.
GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri, however, said that his
party was sticking to its demand that it would not participate
in elections till areas in the Dooars and Terai in the plains
were added to the jurisdiction of the GTA.
"We cannot go for election till the added areas in Dooars
and Terai are included in the GTA. We urge the chief minister
to find a way. Till that does not happen let the GTA be a
nominated body or an interim set up," Giri told PTI from
Giri wanted inclusion of 400 mouzas from the Terai and
Dooars in Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling districts.
According to the agreement, the autonomous GTA would be a
45-member body in comparison to the 28 members of the current
Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!