Mamata government to appeal order for Tapas Paul CID probe today
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: West Bengal`s Trinamool Congress government will on Wednesday appeal against a Calcutta High Court order directing a CID probe into the rape and violence remarks by party MP Tapas Paul.
"Paul has already tendered a public apology and we feel initiating criminal proceeding against him is uncalled for. So the government will be filing an appeal before a division bench on Wednesday," state Law Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya had told a news agency on Tuesday.
Hearing a petition seeking criminal proceedings against Paul, Justice Dipankar Datta had on Monday directed the CID to probe the matter and submit a report to the court by September 01.
The actor-turned-politician was caught on successive tapes asking his party activists in his constituency in Nadia district to prove themselves by killing Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) activists even as he himself asserted that he would gun down his rivals and let loose his "boys" to rape the Marxist women.
Directing the court monitored probe, Justice Datta had made scathing remarks against Paul and expressed regret over the "apathy and indifference of the police".
"Paul`s speech is outrageous and surpasses all bounds of civility. Paul by his bizarre act has shown an evil tendency to become a law unto himself. If this tendency is not nipped in the bud, the situation would take a turn for the worse," Justice Datta said in the 43-page order.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened