Mamata govt criticised for `mushroom growth` of chitfunds
Kolkata: Former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Saturday attacked Mamata Banerjee-led government alleging the two-year rule of Trinamool Congress has been marked by `mushroom growth` of chit funds and prevalence of lawlessness, with economic development taking a backseat.
"There is absolutely no progress in agriculture, industry, IT and in job opportunities except for mushroom growth of chit funds which left lakhs of investors cheated," Bhattacharjee told a CPI(M) rally at Hazra near the residence of his successor Mamata Banerjee, in south Kolkata.
Bhattacharjee said, "This party came to power with lofty promises, but failed to develop state`s economy with agriculture, industry and IT showing a bleak future."
Urging those who had favoured a political change to give their opinion on the performance of present regime, he said, "I repeat that it was our mistake that prompted the majority of voters to give a verdict against us. But I would like to assure you that such mistakes will not be committed in future.
"People have started realising what good has happened after the political change in the state drove the state backwards in all sectors," he said.
The veteran CPI(M) leader also criticised the government`s move to ban law violation programme by political parties in the metropolis and said "Who will obey their undemocratic and unconstitutional order?"
Alleging bias, he asked how it was possible for some political parties to launch movements, while preventing others.
Permission for the rally was witheld by the police, but it was granted later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days