Mamata govt slammed for not framing land policy
Suri: Sharpening her attack on the Mamata Banerjee government, Union Minister Deepa Dasmunshi on Monday said it had failed to come up with a land policy and was taking West Bengal downhill.
"We don`t want another Singur and Nandigram. The state saw a change in the government riding piggyback on Singur and Nandigram, but the Trinamool Congress government failed to finalise any land policy," Dasmunshi, the minister of state for Urban Development, said.
She said after a visit to the troubled Loba village in Birbhum district, which witnessed police-villagers clash recently, that the people want development and industry, but the government was only taking the state downhill.
"No land policy has been framed, yet the police came to Loba village to acquire land. The police opened fire, but the Chief Minister said the firing did not take place. We demanded a CBI inquiry. The incident is not concocted. The CM`s statement is," she said.
Dasmunshi, Congress MP from Raigunj in north Bengal, said that the farmers in her constituency were willing to give land for an AIIMS-like hospital, but the state government said it would not take land.
"If land was not acquired, how would then development take place? Hospital, road, industry, educational institution cannot come up in the sky," she quipped. Reiterating her party`s demand for a CBI probe into the Loba incident, she advised the villagers to move the Human Rights Commission as "human rights stood violated there".
She also told them that the Congress was ready to extend all help to them to move the rights body.
Commenting on the Loba incident on November 06 in which 27 policemen and six villagers were injured, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had stated that it had nothing to do with land acquisition and that the police had shown patience in dealing with the situation and did not open fire.
The state government ordered an administrative inquiry into the incident and the Birbhum Superintendent of Police was asked to go on leave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Didn't have any confidence before 'Kick': Jacqueline Fernandez
- Oil Tankers Association calls off strike in Jammu ?
- French Chevalier award winner Kamal Haasan is Sivaji of our generation: Rajinikanth
- 'Mohenjo Daro' collections: Hrithik Roshan, Pooja Hegde's period drama rakes in Rs 55 cr so far!
- Japan protests to Russia over man detained on disputed island