Mamata govt slammed for not framing land policy
Suri: Sharpening her attack on the Mamata Banerjee government, Union Minister Deepa Dasmunshi on Monday said it had failed to come up with a land policy and was taking West Bengal downhill.
"We don`t want another Singur and Nandigram. The state saw a change in the government riding piggyback on Singur and Nandigram, but the Trinamool Congress government failed to finalise any land policy," Dasmunshi, the minister of state for Urban Development, said.
She said after a visit to the troubled Loba village in Birbhum district, which witnessed police-villagers clash recently, that the people want development and industry, but the government was only taking the state downhill.
"No land policy has been framed, yet the police came to Loba village to acquire land. The police opened fire, but the Chief Minister said the firing did not take place. We demanded a CBI inquiry. The incident is not concocted. The CM`s statement is," she said.
Dasmunshi, Congress MP from Raigunj in north Bengal, said that the farmers in her constituency were willing to give land for an AIIMS-like hospital, but the state government said it would not take land.
"If land was not acquired, how would then development take place? Hospital, road, industry, educational institution cannot come up in the sky," she quipped. Reiterating her party`s demand for a CBI probe into the Loba incident, she advised the villagers to move the Human Rights Commission as "human rights stood violated there".
She also told them that the Congress was ready to extend all help to them to move the rights body.
Commenting on the Loba incident on November 06 in which 27 policemen and six villagers were injured, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had stated that it had nothing to do with land acquisition and that the police had shown patience in dealing with the situation and did not open fire.
The state government ordered an administrative inquiry into the incident and the Birbhum Superintendent of Police was asked to go on leave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm