Mamata govt slammed for not framing land policy
Suri: Sharpening her attack on the Mamata Banerjee government, Union Minister Deepa Dasmunshi on Monday said it had failed to come up with a land policy and was taking West Bengal downhill.
"We don`t want another Singur and Nandigram. The state saw a change in the government riding piggyback on Singur and Nandigram, but the Trinamool Congress government failed to finalise any land policy," Dasmunshi, the minister of state for Urban Development, said.
She said after a visit to the troubled Loba village in Birbhum district, which witnessed police-villagers clash recently, that the people want development and industry, but the government was only taking the state downhill.
"No land policy has been framed, yet the police came to Loba village to acquire land. The police opened fire, but the Chief Minister said the firing did not take place. We demanded a CBI inquiry. The incident is not concocted. The CM`s statement is," she said.
Dasmunshi, Congress MP from Raigunj in north Bengal, said that the farmers in her constituency were willing to give land for an AIIMS-like hospital, but the state government said it would not take land.
"If land was not acquired, how would then development take place? Hospital, road, industry, educational institution cannot come up in the sky," she quipped. Reiterating her party`s demand for a CBI probe into the Loba incident, she advised the villagers to move the Human Rights Commission as "human rights stood violated there".
She also told them that the Congress was ready to extend all help to them to move the rights body.
Commenting on the Loba incident on November 06 in which 27 policemen and six villagers were injured, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had stated that it had nothing to do with land acquisition and that the police had shown patience in dealing with the situation and did not open fire.
The state government ordered an administrative inquiry into the incident and the Birbhum Superintendent of Police was asked to go on leave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?