Mamata has lost faith in common people: Congress leader
Kolkata: West Bengal Congress president Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury Tuesday hit out at Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, saying the Trinamool Congress supremo was seeking endorsements from imams and social activists because she has lost faith in common people.
"She (Banerjee) is seeking endorsements from imams and social activists only because she has lost all faith in common people," Chowdhury said on the sidelines of a programme here.
While social activist Anna Hazare has said he will canvass for the Trinamool in the Lok Sabha polls, asserting that India will change with Banerjee at the helm, rights activist Mahasweta Devi has said Mamata will be the "only ideal prime minister".
Both the Shahi Imam of Kolkata`s Tipu Sultan mosque, Syed Noor Ur Rehman Barkati, and of Delhi`s Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed Bukhari have been rooting for Banerjee.
"She would make a better prime minister for secular India than others," Bukhari said.
Chowdhury said the Congress would go it alone in the state. Party vice-president Rahul Gandhi is scheduled to address rallies in West Bengal soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’