Mamata hold high-level meet to review law & order
Kolkata: Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee
on Friday held a high-level meeting with excise officials, SPs and
district magistrates to review law and order in the state.
The meeting, held at the Town Hall, also reviewed
development projects, 100-day job scheme and foodgrain
Banerjee told reporters after the meeting that her
government had decided to set up crisis management groups in
the districts in view of detection of some conspiracy acts.
Considering bad road condition of state highways, a
decision had been taken to set up West Bengal state highway
authority in line with the National Highway authority.
This new set-up will be for better upkeep and
maintenance of the state highways, Banerjee said.
She said that the state government would make more
stringent the existing laws relating to excise in view of
spurt in illicit liquor trade, besides Arms act and human
The state government, Banerjee said, had also decided
on providing shelter to six lakh homeless and landless by
making available three cottahs of land each under the ``own
land, own house scheme`` by 2015.
The chief minister instructed the district authorities
to strengthen law and order in their respective areas and
The meeting was attended, among others, by state
Finance minister Amit Mitra, Power minister Manish Gupta, chief
secretary Samar Ghosh and Home secretary GD Gautama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price