Mamata in world`s 100 most influential people list
New York: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has been named by Time magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of the world.
Banerjee joins a club of "people who inspire us, entertain us, challenge us and change our world," that includes US President Barack Obama, billionaire investor Warren Buffet, Pakistan`s first Oscar winner Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg.
Time said Banerjee, referred to by her supporters as Didi, was labelled by critics as a "mercurial oddball and a shrieking street fighter".
"But ultimately she proved to be the consummate politician. Through successive elections, Banerjee steadily expanded her power base while chipping away at those of her opponents," the magazine, which released its 2012 list of the 100 Most influential people in the world today, said.
It said Banerjee`s lower-middle-class background was no obstacle in a country "notorious for its dynasties".
"In New Delhi`s back rooms, where political horse trading is the name of the game, she excelled. On the streets, she out-Marxed the Marxists."
"And as chief minister of her home state, she has emerged as a populist woman of action, strident and divisive but poised to play an even greater role in the world`s largest democracy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Mother Sofia Hayat displays her singing talent - Watch video
- Mercedes, GE among 'Make in India' investors
- 1st Test, Day 1: Steve Smith-led Australia in driver's seat after bowling out Sri Lanka for 117
- 'Kabali' Rajinikanth follows just one politician on Twitter; he is PM Narendra Modi
- 7th CPC: Govt to set up anomalies committees related to IAS, IPS, IFoS