Mamata kicks off poll campaign through padayatra
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who will contest the September 25 bypolls to enter the Assembly from Bhowanipore, on Saturday launched her campaign in the constituency.
With Rabindrasangeet playing, Banerjee walked in a procession with Trinamool Congress leaders like Union Minister of state for Shipping Mukul Roy, state PWD Minister and state party president Subrata Bakshi and government Chief Whip Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay.
The Bhowanipoe seat fell vacant after party MLA Bakshi resigned to make room for Banerjee to contest.
Banerjee, who took over reins of the state on May 20 after her party`s landslide victory in the Assembly Elections, had later resigned as Railway minister.
Banerjee`s main contender is Nandini Mukherjee whom the Left Front has pitted as a CPI(M) candidate. BJP has decided against fielding any candidate against
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok