Mamata kicks off poll campaign through padayatra
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who will contest the September 25 bypolls to enter the Assembly from Bhowanipore, on Saturday launched her campaign in the constituency.
With Rabindrasangeet playing, Banerjee walked in a procession with Trinamool Congress leaders like Union Minister of state for Shipping Mukul Roy, state PWD Minister and state party president Subrata Bakshi and government Chief Whip Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay.
The Bhowanipoe seat fell vacant after party MLA Bakshi resigned to make room for Banerjee to contest.
Banerjee, who took over reins of the state on May 20 after her party`s landslide victory in the Assembly Elections, had later resigned as Railway minister.
Banerjee`s main contender is Nandini Mukherjee whom the Left Front has pitted as a CPI(M) candidate. BJP has decided against fielding any candidate against
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 pre-registrations begins from today
- Kashmir unrest: J&K delegation meets PM Modi; seeks immediate ban on pellet gun
- Cow vigilantism? Man heckled in Mumbai on suspicion of carrying bag made of cowhide
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Delhi court pronounces death for two convicts, life in jail for third
- Joint Admission Board forms panel to suggest ways to boost number of women in IITs