Mamata kicks off poll campaign through padayatra
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who will contest the September 25 bypolls to enter the Assembly from Bhowanipore, on Saturday launched her campaign in the constituency.
With Rabindrasangeet playing, Banerjee walked in a procession with Trinamool Congress leaders like Union Minister of state for Shipping Mukul Roy, state PWD Minister and state party president Subrata Bakshi and government Chief Whip Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay.
The Bhowanipoe seat fell vacant after party MLA Bakshi resigned to make room for Banerjee to contest.
Banerjee, who took over reins of the state on May 20 after her party`s landslide victory in the Assembly Elections, had later resigned as Railway minister.
Banerjee`s main contender is Nandini Mukherjee whom the Left Front has pitted as a CPI(M) candidate. BJP has decided against fielding any candidate against
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi