Mamata lays foundation stone of Rabindra Museum at Howrah
Kolkata: Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee
today laid the foundation stone of Rabindra Museum in front of
Howrah station here to create an archive by her ministry for
preserving various documents of the Nobel Laureate poet`s
creation and encourage research on his works.
"The initiative has been taken by the Ministry of
Railways to pay tribute to Kaviguru Rabindranath Tagore on the
occasion of his 150 birth anniversary celebration and the
foundation stone was laid today on the poet`s 69th death
anniversary", Banerjee said here.
Laying foundation stone of the Rabindra Museum along with
a host of literary and cultural exponents on the bank of the
Hooghly, Banerjee stressed the need to preserve documents of
all such great personalities in the country and spread their
message across for human emancipation.
Stating that the Railway subsidiary RITES has been
assigned to develop the project on the model of poets
ancestral house at Jorasanko in Kolkata, she said it will have
research centre, auditorium and archive.
A Geetanjali Museum would also come up at Bolpur next,
besides opening Pratik Station shortly, she said.
Banerjee placed a proposal before the Rabindranath Tagore
150th birth anniversary celebration committee, headed by Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh, to arrange distribution of at least
one lakh copies of `Geetanjali` in many languages across the
The Railway has decided to distribute 10,000 copies
of Geetanjali among students in West Bengal, she said.
Literary and cultural exponents like Amala Shankar,
Dwijen Mukherjee, Indrani Sen, Santanu Roy Chowdhury,
Sirshendu Mukherjee, Bratya Basu, Shaonli Mitra and Jogen
Chowdhury were also present at the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre