Mamata lets Left garland Netaji statue first
Kolkata: On Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose`s birthday on Monday, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee did a U-turn and allowed Left leaders to garland his statue first.
The Left Front had on Saturday vowed to disregard a government fiat regarding the time allotted to it for garlanding the revolutionary`s statue.
In a bid to avoid any controversy, Banerjee broke protocol by allowing the Left leaders garland the statue even ahead of her.
Forward Bloc leader Ashok Ghosh was the first to do so, followed by Left Front chairman Biman Bose and other Left leaders. Banerjee and her Cabinet colleagues came after them.
The grand-nephew of Netaji, Sugato Bose, also garlanded the statue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What a journey! Watch video that introduced US President Barack Obama at Democratic National Convention
- No newspapers, television for Arvind Kejriwal for 12 days in August - Know why
- Flood wrecks havoc in Bihar, Assam; more than 40 dead, lakhs affected
- Houthi rebels form Supreme Council to govern Yemen
- Boy George 'devastated' over friend's suicide