Mamata may talk to PM on Farakka sluice gate issue
Kolkata: Seeking to step up her campaign on
the Farakka barrage broken sluice gates issue which she
claimed allowed "excess" Ganges water flow to Bangladesh, West
Bengal Chief Minister would meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
in New Delhi on February 22 to flag her concern on the matter.
She would also take up the implementation of Gorkhaland
Territorial Administration (GTA) during the meeting with the
Prime Minister, Mamata told PTI.
"I sought an appointment with the Prime Minister to
discuss the issue of GTA and the problem arising out of
excess flow of water to Bangladesh through the broken sluice
gates on Farakka barrage. I will discuss these issues with him
on Wednesday. I will leave for Delhi tomorrow," she said.
The broken sluice gates of the barrage has been the
latest flashpoint between the Mamata Banerjee government and
The chief minister has expressed concern that the two
broken sluice gates had led to release of Ganga water to
Bangladesh much above what the neighbour is "entitled to"
during the dry season.
Recently, the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM), which had
spearheaded the movements for a separate statehood for the
Gorkhas in Darjeeling, threatened to go resume the agitation
for their demand from March 27 unless GTA was implemented
GJM leaders have also threatened to burn the original
tripartite agreement signed last year in Darjeeling in the
presence of Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and Mamata
Banerjee and go for an indefinite agitation in the hills from
The GJM leaders had met the chief minister over the
issue at Siliguri recently.
Banerjee said that the tripartite agreement on Gorkhaland
Territorial Administration had already been signed, but its
implementation was being delayed.
"Why should there be delay? I will seek PM`s
intervention", she said.
Asked if she would also discuss the controversial
proposal to set up the National Counter Terrorism Centre
(NCTC) with PM, the chief minister said, "I have already given
a letter to the Prime Minister that will speak for itself.
"Everything is mentioned in that letter," she said without
Expressing concern over the alleged infringement of
federal rights of state, Banerjee in a letter to the Prime
Minister on February 14 had said: "It is difficult for
the state government to accept such arbitrary exercise of
power by the central government/central agency, which have a
bearing on the rights and privilege of the states as enshrined
in the Constitution of India."
Last Saturday, Banerjee had alleged that the Centre
had kept secret the fact about the two damaged sluice gates on
the Farakka Barrage, resulting in Bangladesh getting 82,801
cusecs of water as against 35,000 cusecs it is supposed to get
during the dry season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in